Friday 30 November 2012

Fashion is Lifestyle...... reflection of one's inner self!


Approximately 5 months back, I arrived in Madrid and was exploring the city. I was hoping magazine stores  looking for Vogue magazine in English. Oh well ... Spanish people...so rigid! 
Anyway, so as I was strolling around I met a guy called Sergio who happened to be a fashion blogger too. Something common to talk about!
He told me he was working on his next blog which was about a print model and how interesting it was to know the print modeling world. 
That's when it struck me- that I know a print model too who happens to be quite successful in India and what a thrill it would be to interview someone like him. 

Approximately 4 weeks ago I contacted Jigar Shah. I remember meeting Jigar  a year back in a cafe in Bangalore, India. We happened to have a common friend. Back then all we had to say to each other was - " how u doin?". I was not a fashion blogger either but sure as hell was passionate about fashion. 


So presenting JIGAR SHAH- A print model.






A brief introduction:

I'm 20 and a young (not fresh) print model from Bangalore. I've been doing editorials, catalogs and TVC shoots for almost 2 years now. I've endorsed several brands across India including 7up, Hercules cycles, Dairy milk, Sarvana, and Hero Honda. I've also won Mr. Teen Fresh Face Bangalore in 2009 and Mr. Sparsh 2010 and featured in Editorials and Catalog shoot for Magazines and Newspapers.


1) How long have you been modeling, when did you start and did you always wanted to become a model?



Jigar:

I was lucky to have an early start and it's been almost 2 years now, on and off. I started off freelancing and  doing portraiture for photographers and got noticed by coordinators for whom I'd audition. My first shoot was for a footwear brand! 
I never did want to be a model, I was a skinny, nerdy kid back in school and totally not photogenic! Feels good to have worked on my appearance and I've never been more comfortable with my body.


2) I have been seeing you in the newspapers and magazines for over a year now and it looks like you have made quite a market for yourself. Congrats for that. How hard did you have to work to get to that level at such a young age? and if I am not wrong you were also invited to judge a fashion show in Bangalore?


Jigar:
Thank you so much! I do feel secure about the niche I've carved for myself as a print model, particularly cause it didn't come easy. As an 18 year old I wasn't really all that social and sucked at networking which is so important. I've had people say nasty things about my appearance to me on my face. Academics and college was always priority, but I'm glad I was able to accommodate a few shoots, castings and fittings during all this. Yeah, I did judge an Inter-college fashion show at a University fest recently, and being younger than most participants did give me a sense of accomplishment. It was a fun experience.


3) So lets talk about fashion now. Who do you generally wear? Who is your favorite designer? both national and international and why?


Jigar:
I get dressed up as needed and it varies, like a lot. I've got a small weakness for fashion, so my wardrobe is more girl-sized than guy-sized. In most cases, I don't really pick my outfits thinking about who the creative genius behind it's design is.. My style is pretty conventional and I'm pretty, in that sense, pretty ordinary  but the message is not ordinary. I try to add some vintage elements which is why my favorite Indian designers have to be Ramesh Dembla and Sabyasachi. I've worked with Ramesh extensively and I love how he amalgamates Indian colors and western style. Sabyasachi's tie collection is to die for and I obviously own several of those already. Of course I also love Karl Lagerfelf, he's master of couture and never forgets sexiness. 


4) Do you think one can look stylish only in expensive branded clothes? What according to you is being stylish? 


Jigar:
I don't think it's a prerequisite at all to be splurging to look stylish. People who are original and creative are stylish. Stylish means you have a style, I don't think it necessarily means you have a good style. So in terms of fashion, dressing to your personality type and being able to carry it off... that's being stylish!


5) Have you ever considered runway modeling?


Jigar:
Runway has stricter physical requirements , I'm more comfortable being expressive and photogenic, and I think I'm better off print and Editorials. I have been groomed to do Ramp though and I have one strong runway walk.


6) When I say "Fashion", what is the first thing that comes in your mind? How would you define it?


Jigar:
Fashion is Lifestyle! That's what comes to my mind. For me fashion helps me express myself and therefore its always based on what I find interesting- and no one else! Fashion is an expression of one's inner self and not a reflection of everyone's expectation of what should be expressed.








No comments:

Post a Comment